- 50g fine brown sugar per free range egg white
- 1 medium carton double cream
- 1 punnet of local raspberries (mine were from Craigie’s)
- Icing sugar to dust
- Whisk egg whites until thick and white. The peaks should stand up.
- Add sugar gradually, whisking all the time with electric beaters, until all the sugar incorporated. It will be glossy now.
- Pipe meringues in desired shapes onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Bake at 140 – 150 C. Turn heat to lower temperature if they are browning too quickly.
- When they feel dry to the touch (about 45mins-1hr depending on size) switch off oven and leave them to dry out for at least another hour in oven, ideally overnight – I like to make meringues in evening then switch off oven for the night!
- Remove tray from oven. Ensure they are cold before decorating with whipped cream and raspberries.
- Use a colourful paper napkin with a cocktail stick to create sails if wished.
- Unfilled meringues can be made in advance and will keep for at least a week in an airtight tin.
Recipe & photo, Wendy Barrie, Scottish Food Guide